History

1953

The first Episcopal services in this area were held March 22, 1953, at the Hales Corners home of Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Champlin.

Thomas the Apostle Church was built at the corner of Ridge Road and Highway 100 in Hales Corners.

St. Thomas the Apostle Church was built at the corner of Ridge Road and Highway 100 in Hales Corners.

1954

1954

St. Thomas the Apostle Church was built at the corner of Ridge Road and Highway 100 in Hales Corners.

1956

Episcopal services in Greendale began in 1956 in a donated residence that was used as the parish rectory and church while a parish church, St. Hugh of Lincoln was being constructed.

Groundbreaking ceremony for Saint Hugh of Lincoln

1959

1959

Groundbreaking ceremony for Saint Hugh of Lincoln

1960

A small round church, known as St. Hugh of Lincoln, was built in 1960, on the site that includes the current sanctuary of St. Thomas of Canterbury.

St. Thomas the Apostle and St. Hugh of Lincoln parishes join together to form St. Thomas of Canterbury Episcopal Church in 1973. Parishioners from St. Thomas the Apostle moved to the St. Hugh of Lincoln site.

1973

1973

St. Thomas the Apostle and St. Hugh of Lincoln parishes join together to form St. Thomas of Canterbury Episcopal Church in 1973. Parishioners from St. Thomas the Apostle moved to the St. Hugh of Lincoln site.

1976-77

Commencing in 1976, the original St. Hugh Church (the round part of our parish church building) was expanded.

(pictured) Groundbreaking ceremony in 1976

 

Construction of outer masonry walls and preparing for framing and roof.

1977

1977

Construction of outer masonry walls and preparing for framing and roof.

Today

Saint Thomas of Canterbury building and grounds present day.