All reports and minutes from Vestry Meetings are a matter of public record. Here you can find the current agenda, minutes from past meetings, and all submitted reports. Vestry meets after the 10 o’clock service on the 3rd Sunday of every month, unless otherwise noted in the Calendar. Everyone is welcome to attend meetings.
Vestry Meeting January 21, 2018
St. Thomas of Canterbury Episcopal Church, Greendale, Wisconsin
Present: Paul Stoving, Senior Warden; Margaret Done, Junior Warden; Mark Lamson; Gary Heaney; Ross Worzalla; Fr. Mark Moore, Rector; Kris Reed, Treasurer; Scott Celsor; Lisa Chmielewski
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 11:38 a.m. by Paul Stoving who also led the opening prayer.
Group Exercise: The Vestry members participated in a group exercise during which the Vestry members reflected on their ministry together—what we’ve learned and what we can take forward.
- Standard Business
Consent Agenda: Gary Heaney moved to accept the Consent Agenda. Lisa Chmielewski seconded the motion and all Vestry members approved.
Task list: The Task List was reviewed and updated.
Calendar: The calendar was reviewed and updated as necessary.
- Old Business
- Vestry Candidates: The Vestry members discussed potential candidates for the one remaining position that needs to be filled in 2018. In addition, the Vestry members addressed the canonical and bylaw issues regarding Vestry eligibility.
- Vestry Retreat: The Vestry retreat is scheduled for February 3, 2018, at the Cathedral. The new Vestry will be installed on Sunday, February 4, 2018, and a group picture will be taken at that time.
- Music Director: The Music Director Search Committee met last week to discuss the open position given that neither of the potential candidates worked out. It was suggested by the Diocese that St. Thomas wait to replace the Choir Director until after Fr. Moore’s position is filled. However, the Search Committee would like to continue to pursue a replacement rather than wait. After some discussion, the Vestry members agreed that the Search Committee should continue its work rather than wait.
- Jiu Jitsu: The bag has been mounted and the contract with Jiu Jitsu has been modified per Fr. Moore.
- New Business:
- Proposed Budget: After reviewing the proposed budget, Ross Worzalla moved that the proposed budget be presented for approval at the Annual Meeting. Scott Celsor seconded the motion and all Vestry members approved.
- Parish Life: Ross Worzalla questioned who should be paying for celebratory cakes—St. Thomas or the family. The Vestry members agreed to defer this discussion until the new Vestry is in place.
- Sam’s Club Membership: Margaret Done shared that Sam’s Club is offering reimbursement to their members due to the closing of several of their stores. The Vestry members agreed to wait until a new Parish Life representative is in place before making a decision regarding St. Thomas’s membership.
- Leadership Development Opportunities: Paul Stoving provided information regarding two development opportunities and indicated that he would like all Vestry members to consider attending the Winter Leadership Day on February 24, 2018.
- Moore’s Resignation: Ross Worzalla moved to accept Fr. Moore’s resignation following his announced retirement. Scott Celsor seconded the motion, and all Vestry members approved.
- Donated Items: Scott Celsor provided information regarding the three estimates he obtained for cleaning the two couches donated by Fr. Moore. After discussion, Scott agreed to confirm the estimates and provide an update to the Vestry members.
Motion: Mark Lamson moved to accept the television that was donated to St. Thomas by Fr. Moore. Gary Heaney seconded the motion, and all Vestry members approved.
- Upcoming Dates: The next Vestry Meeting is scheduled for Sunday, February 18, 2018. Scott Celsor agreed to take the minutes.
- Adjourn: Moore led the closing prayer. The meeting adjourned at 1:25 p.m.
Gail A. Pedersen